Income Protection

A Monthly Tax Free Income If You Are Unable To Work.

An Income Protection Policy is one of the most important insurances that you can consider, as without your income, your life style could change dramatically. What would you do if you could not work due to disability or ill health? If you had a reduced income, how would you pay your bills? Could you survive on State Benefit alone?

An Income Protection Policy is designed to protect your income by paying you a monthly tax free income if you are unable to work as a result of disability or ill health.

The maximum cover you can have is typically between 50-60% of your gross annual income ( if you are employed ), or if you are of a sole trader status then it is 50-60% of the figure that you are taxed on, sometimes referred to as your ‘operating profit’ or ‘taxable income’. This is actually more than what you might initially think, as the benefit is paid tax free.

This type of protection is very popular with self-employed business owners, directors, contractors and sole traders. However, employed individuals are also prime candidates for this type of cover as their sick pay entitlements through their employers will typically only last for 12 months at the very most.

Find out more by giving us a call or using our contact us page.

Call us on 07785921234


Monday to Friday 9:00AM to 5:00PM

Francis Cole is a trading style of Timothy Francis, an Appointed Representative of The Right Mortgage Ltd, which us authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority’.

The guidance and/or advice contained within this website is subject to the UK regulatory regime and is therefore targeted at consumers based in the UK

Registered address : 12 Red Lion Lane, Chobham, Woking, Surrey, GU24 8RH.

Francis Cole is not responsible for the content of any external links.

For any complaints, please contact The Right Mortgage & Protection Network at 01564 732 744 or in writing at St Johns Court, 70 St Johns Close, Knowle, Solihull, B93 0NH’, that would be fine.

A summary of our internal complaints handling procedures for the reasonable and prompt handling of complaints is available on request and if you cannot settle your complaint with us, you may be entitled to refer it to the Financial Ombudsman Service at or by contacting them on 0800 0234 567